I’ve had this question pop up several times from clients in the last few weeks: Which should I create, a Facebook Group or Page? Here are the pros and cons I’ve dug up on each. I’d love to hear if anyone has others to add to the list.
Pros of Pages:
- More functionality, such as the ever popular “apps,” which aid greatly in viral marketing, including RSS feeds. (Groups do not currently have apps.)
- Metrics tracking (pageviews, etc.).
- Ability to send updates to Fans.
- More than one admin can be assigned to a page; however, there can be only one “official” owner: “Every admin has equal access to and the same abilities as the other admins for a Page, however the original creator of the Page may never be removed by other Page admins.” This rule seems to be the same for Groups as well.
- Users are listed as “Fans” of your Page on their profile. Becoming a Fan is shown in their feed.
Pros of Groups:
- Privacy. Do you want non-members seeing your info?
- More popular and prevalent than pages, because they’ve been around longer, which means people are more likely to happen upon a Group than a Page via search.
- Groups are displayed on a user’s profile, if they choose.